How can an insect bite through apparel anyway you ask? Well, if they’re hungry - as proven by Rockefeller University research - they can even bite through denim ! According to the W.H.O., Vector-borne diseases are human illnesses caused by parasites, viruses and bacteria that are transmitted by mosquitoes, sandflies, triatomine bugs, blackflies, ticks, tsetse flies, mites, snails and lice. Every year there are more than 700,000 deaths from diseases such as malaria, dengue, schistosomiasis, human African trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis and onchocerciasis, globally. In the United States, Vector-borne diseases like Lyme Disease, West Nile Virus, Zika, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever etc affect thousands every year.
Marshmellow Gear is specially treated with an insect protection formulation known as Permethrin, to prevent against insect bites and illnesses.
Permethrin is a synthetic derivative from the chrysanthemum flower. Permethrin was discovered in 1973 and is a part of the World Health Organization's list of 'Essential Medicines'. Permethrin is a contact-based insect protection formulation with no odor, smoke or color. It affects the nervous system of insects that come in contact with the product, incapacitating them before they bite.
• WIDELY USED: Permethrin is recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a public health insecticide. Permethrin is also the choice of armed forces around the world, that use the product to insect proof their uniforms.
• HARD ON THE BUGS: Permethrin attacks the nervous system of insects. As a result, they get paralysed and knocked down. Obviously, insects do not want to die, and they instinctively know they should stay away. This insect protection agent keeps away mosquitos, flies, and ticks, without endangering the health of humans and animals.
• GOOD FOR UP TO 50 WASHES: The active component of Marshmellow Gear is a synthetic pyrethroid, a substance similar to the substance found in flowers like the chrysanthemum. Combined with our unique binder system, Marshmellow Gear has a profound long-lasting effect that can last up to 50 washes. Even after being laundered many times, the Marshmellow Gear will not lose its functionality.
• NO. 1 CHOICE OF ARMED FORCES: Permethrin based products have been used for over 20 years in insect proofing of combat uniforms; one of the major applications of the Insect Proof apparel. Defence forces battle on the most unforgiving terrains where they encounter a wide variety of insects. This makes them vulnerable to a range of tropical diseases. This is thanks to the German Army that has made Permethrin it’s standard.
• PERFORMANCE: Tested under the standards of the German Armed Forces. The ‘arm in cage test’, for example, shows how mosquitos stay away from clothing impregnated with Permethrin, and what’s more, don’t sting the person tested.
• DERMA SAFE - ÖKO-TEX STANDARD 100 APPROVED: Vast toxicological tests show that Marshmellow Gear apparel is safe to wear. The finish is odorless and has no negative effect.
• USED BY NATO ARMED FORCES: The Marshmellow Gear concept is composed of various components to ensure performances as required in NATO-uniforms. These uniforms have to comply with the strong TL 8305-0331 norm and are used by soldiers deployed in malaria endemic regions.